Sunday, May 10, 2009

Obsession Part 2

I came across this in my search for my obsession. This combines one of my obsessions; skulls, with another thing that I love dearly. Diamonds. I believe that diamonds are magical. They enthrall and captivate me. They can turn a somber mood into a glorious moment. They even make my heart skip a beat.

A Diamond encrusted Skull! Isn't it fabulous? Damien Steven Hirst is an English artist and the most prominent member of the group known as "Young British Artists" (or YBAs.) He is the richest living artist to date. In 2007 Hirst revealed “For the Love of God” modelled on an 18th century skull, but the only surviving human part of the original is the teeth. The skull is cast in platinum and covered by 8,601 pave-set diamonds weighing 1,106.18 carats. The single large diamond in the middle of the forehead is reportedly worth $4.2 million alone. It’s priced at $100 million. You read correctly. $100 MILLION! This is truly stunning and what a great inspiration Hirst is. How much do you think I could get for a stirofoam skull cast in glitter and encrusted with nerds and some rock candy? Doin it! I think I am headed in the right direction.

4 comments:

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

100million!!!! Oh my goodness! That truly does take skill to do. What an artist!

Nathan said...

Two thoughts come to mind:

1) you must have really loved Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

and

2) this is EXACTLY what my X-rays show whats under my skin.

US said...

I have never seen the new Indiana Jones. Does it really have skulls in it?

The Everts said...

Wow, that's cool... I would love to use some of those diamonds in my wedding ring. lol Just kidding.